Soo..I decided to go tropical. But first, I should give you the background. I was assigned a project for college. In Spanish, there is a holiday called Las Posadas and at the end of the festival, they have a huge feast (these empanadas included). "Brownie points" were awarded to those who were creative. I decided that I should be creative with my "baking skills" (or so I'd like to think). This was the finished product.
Tropical Fruit Empanadas.
1 1/2 Pre-Made/Pre-Rolled Refrigerated Pie Crusts (Pillsbury)
Tropical Filling (Recipie Follows)
Egg wash (One egg+1 1/2 Tablespoons of water)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut out pie dough with circle cookie dough or circular cutter into 4 inch circles.
3. Spoon one Tablespoon of filling in half each circle. Brush the other half with egg wash.
4. Fold over and pinch the sides of the empanda. Scallop edges with a fork.
5. Place on greased cookie sheets and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with cinamon sugar.
6. Bake for 16-19 minutes or until light golden brown.
7. Let cool, and store in airtight container.
1 cup of strained juice from one can of crushed pineapple
1 14-16 oz. bag of frozen peaches (slightly thawed)
1 20 oz. bag of frozen strawberries (Slightly thawed)
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/3 cup of brown sugar (packed)
1/8-1/4 of a cup of corn starch.
1. Combine juice, vanilla, corn starch, and brown sugar in saucepan on medium low heat until thickened.
2. Add fruit(diced into 1/2 inch pieces) and leave on low heat for a slight simmer. Let cool.
3. When cool, add to empanadas, bake, and enjoy!